elderly couple

Over 60

Travel Concessions

Pay less and get out more.

Need cheap over 60s insurance? Just click on a link below!

Car   Home   Pet   Life   Travel

Why we need cheaper travel

The cost of public transport in the UK is amongst the highest in Europe. Yet, as more businesses, shops and leisure complexes relocate to out of town purpose-built locations, accessing them is only possible by car, bus or train. Although you can buy multi-trip passes to cut down costs, if you're on a low income, purchasing one of these is still out of reach for the majority of people. But if you are on a low income, you might be eligible for travel concessions.

What's on offer?

All major transport providers work with local authorities and the government to provide concessionary travel. Without it, a large number of the population would be at a disadvantage; as would the shops who benefit from their business.
Travel concessions for the elderly and disabled
Most parts of the UK offer a similar version of the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme pass. Set by Travel Concession Authorities, the schemes offer various generous discounts or even free travel from 0930 to 2300 during the week, plus anytime at the weekend and bank holidays. You can apply at https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass.


Men and women in England and Wales can apply for their concessionary travel pass when they reach State Pension age for women. If you live in London, you can apply when you're 60, and it extends to travel on the tube too.

If you live in England or Wales, visit https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass. If you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland, you can also apply when you're aged 60. You only need a National Entitlement Card in Scotland, which you can apply for from your local authority. In Northern Ireland, concessionary travel is provided by the government, visit their website to start your application at https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/bus-and-coach-travel/free-bus-travel-and-concessions.

Travel concessions for younger people

Any child in the UK under the age of 8 who has to travel more than 2 miles to school gets free transport; children over 8 who travel more than 3 miles do too. Naturally, children with walking difficulties who qualify for Special Educational Needs also have their travel paid for. Other concessions include the 16-19 bursary (designed to help young parents to stay in education), Care to Learn (to help with childcare and travel-related study costs), and the discretionary learner fund (for people aged 19+ suffering financial difficulties).

For students of all ages in full-time education, there's an excellent choice of concessions available from a range of providers, though these aren't technically classed as benefits.

Concessions for the unemployed

There's a range of support available for the unemployed. If you've been claiming Jobseekers Allowance or Universal Credit for more than 3 months, you can apply for a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card, entitling you to half-price travel. For help with costs to attend interviews, training, or help during your first month's travel to work, ask your advisor about the flexible support fund, a discretionary payment issued by your local Jobcentre.


Railcards also offer great discounts to people under 25, the over 60s, the disabled, and members of the HM Forces (including their families). If you fall outside these categories, then regional railcards can be purchased by anyone. A Senior Railcard, for those over 60, costs £30 and you can buy one from your local railway station, or online at http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/

Looking for life insurance?

Life insurance doesn't have to be unaffordable. This applies even as we get older, since policies are available which are designed to cater for the needs of those approaching, or over, pensionable age.

By shopping around and comparing premiums and benefits you could cut the costs even further. However, which of us have the time or inclination to do that? Luckily there is a better way.

Our partners have access to a panel of insurers, all of which are, of course, fully authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, which ensures that the regulated companies meet the highest ethical standards and will work hard to find the best policies for you.

All you have to do is provide a few details, and these will be passed on to insurers on the panel. They will get back in touch with you and get quotations for you.

You just then compare the prices and the benefits, and decide which policy is best for you.

To maintain your privacy all information is passed on using highly secure technology and only insurers who will be able to find you an excellent deal will be invited to quote.

Don't delay. Compare life insurance quotes now.

Contact Us       Privacy Policy      Disclaimer

Copyright © 2017 Peter Meyer and OverSixties.co.uk All Rights Reserved.

Please note that this website is for entertainment purposes only and none of the contents should be considered to be professional advice. If you have any queries about any of the subjects raised in any of the articles on this site, you should seek advice from a properly qualified person. Please see our Disclaimer for more information.